Thursday, January 13, 2011

Challenge: How to make vegetables taste good!

One of the stand-by recipes from Weight Watchers is a 0-point vegetable soup.  My twist on this favorite is sure to create a party in your mouth!
Today's variety included the following:
  • One yellow onion diced and sauteed
  • 2 green squash cubed (they probably have another name, but I don't know it)
  • 2 yellow squash cubed (same as above)
  • 2 eggplants cubed
  • 1/2 head of cabbage cut up
  • 1 small can of tomato paste
  • 2 cans of diced tomato
  • 1 can of fat free chicken broth
  • red pepper flakes to taste
  • oregano to taste
  • a couple of cloves of garlic
  • basil to taste
  • brussell sprouts sliced up/cut/diced/whatever (I don't usually have brussell sprouts but I was feeling adventurous and bought them and before they went bad in the fridge I decided to add these to the mix)
  • enough water to cover everything up
  • let everything cook down until all of your veggies are soft and delicious
This is a great soup to make in quantities.  You can keep it for a few days in the fridge.  I take left overs to work usually for the whole week.  Also, I've heard of people that freeze it in ziploc bags and thaw out individual servings.  Also, a very nice idea.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment